Lake Michigan Committee
The Lake Michigan Committee consists of senior staff members from Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, and the Chippewa-Ottawa Resource Authority. The Committee's purposes are to:
- consider issues and problems of common concern to Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, and/or the Chippewa Ottawa Resource Authority (CORA);
- develop and coordinate joint state/provincial/federal/tribal management programs and research projects;
- consider issues pertinent to, or referred by, the commission that are within the LMC's authority or under its auspices;
- decide issues for referral to the commission or Council of Lake Committees (CLC) for direction, resolution or support;
- serve as a forum for state, tribal, and federal agencies, and others, on a need/request basis; and
- decide protocol for LMC operation, establish operational procedures for internal committees and develop meeting agendas.
- Jay Wesley, Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Chair
- Jeremy Price, Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Vice Chair
- Brad Eggold, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
- Tom Gorenflo, Chippewa-Ottawa Resource Authority
- Vic Santucci, Illinois Department of Natural Resources
Updated: February 14, 2017
Lake Michigan Technical Committee and Task Groups
The Lake Michigan Technical Committee consists of fishery biologists from Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, Indiana Dept. of Natural Resources, Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources, Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources, the Sault Saint Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians, the Little Traverse Bay Band of Odawa Indians, the Little River Band of Ottawa Indians, the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, the Bay Mills Indian Community, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the U.S. Geological Survey. The Technical Committee's purposes are to:
- provide agencies represented on the Committee with technical information on the status of stocks including management alternatives and guidelines in making and evaluating fisheries management decisions;
- arrange for resource persons to assist the members as required; and
- advise the Committee Chairman of any additional funding or other requirements as needed.
The efforts of the Lake Michigan Technical Committee are supported by the Yellow Perch Working Group, the Lake Trout Working Group, the Planktivore Working Group, the Sea Lamprey Working Group, and the Habitat Working Group.
The Lake Michigan Committee established the following specialized task groups to assist it with specific tasks: the Lake Sturgeon Task Group, the Native Planktivore Task Group, and the Lower Trophic Level Task Group.
Meeting minutes from the technical committee meetings may be available on the Publication Search.
Publications and Products
- Lake Michigan Stocking Report 2016
- Lake Michigan Committee Research Priorities (2014)
- Fish Community Objectives for Lake Michigan (1995)
- The State of Lake Michigan in 2011
- Lake Michigan Environmental Objectives
- A Guide for the Rehabilitation of Lake Trout in Lake Michigan (2008-01)
- Status of Yellow Perch in Lake Michigan 2012-2014
- Lake Trout Working Group Report 2015
- Lake Michigan Stocking Report 2015
- Lake Michigan Committee Salmon Stocking Strategy (July 2014)
- 2014 Yellow Perch Summit Report
- A Fisheries Management Implementation Strategy for the Rehabilitation of Lake Trout in Lake Michigan (2011)
- Possible Impediments to Lake Trout Restoration in Lake Michigan (2003)
- Lakewide Assessment Plan for Lake Michigan Fish Communities (1998)
- Fishery Agencies Identify Multi-Species Predator Stocking Reduction Targets For Lake Michigan (Oct 20, 2016)
- Fishery Agencies Adjust Lakewide Predator Stocking to Preserve Lake Michigan Predator-Prey Balance (Oct 11, 2016)
- Fishery Agencies Propose Chinook Stocking Reduction To Sustain The Lake Michigan Fishery (June 13, 2016)
- Compiled Reports To The Great Lakes Fishery Commission Of The Annual Bottom Trawl And Acoustics Surveys, 2016